However, even if future bass is an “umbrella” or “buzz term”, there are a certain amount of elements which make future bass what it is. With heavy bass-lines, astutely filtered soundwaves, quirky vocal chops, exciting samples, rhythmic percussion and unheard of effects, it successively makes electronic music fresh and scintillating again. In this article, we will analyze the fusion of elements that characterize future bass, the reasons for its popularization in recent years and focus on the elements and the technique behind its making.
To sum it up, we will provide the answers to the following questions and recommendations:
- What is future bass?
- How to make future bass?
- Our recommended artists (Soundcloud)
- Our recommended Youtube channels
In 2014, Flume’s “tennis courts” announced the arrival of future bass. With oscillated soundwaves, astutely filtered sounds, rightly processed vocals and quirky effects, this track became an instant classic of the genre.
1. What is Future Bass?
The fusion of different elements: the motto of Future Bass
[Future Bass] – San Holo – Victory [Monstercat EP Release]
Innovation, versatility and energy as reasons for its popularization in recent recent years
The origins of Future Bass
Marshmello, a pioneer of mainstream future bass music
Innovation, versatility and energy
Louis The Child, a Chicago-based future bass duo
Oh Wonder – Body Gold (Louis The Child Remix)
In the end, Future bass’s addictive melodies and hooks will make you remember tracks, pumping drums and percussion elements will make your body vibrate and unforgettably aggressive supersaws will transmit an energetic vibe that will make you reach the seventh heaven.
Flume’s future bass festival banger, Turning (Flume Remix)
2. How To Make Future Bass: The Gear, Software & Samples You Need
There are a number of software synthesizers that produce lushing pads, deep basses and aggressive saw waves. All of these elements are necessary for future bass. At this point, there is no software synthesizer that is really better than another. Some might be more suited to the creation of elements such as drums whilst other excelt at chords and leads. But, in the right context, they can all contribute coming one stop closer to the realization of a future bass track:
3 Ideal Future Bass Synthesizers:
How To Make Future Bass: The Technique
1) For chord progressions, there are a lot of 7th chords that are employed. Try looking into music theory to grasp the ins and outs of how these chords are composed.
2) Sound design matters in future bass as it does in any other electronic music genre. However, arguably future bass requires less sound design knowledge than dubstep or even techno. To make simple future bass all you need is to understand how square and saw wave synthesis works. Making supersaws (a stacked saw sound) is only the beginning of the whole equation. For example, for the drop part of the song, you will notice that a lot of time, automation and the understanding of LFOs matter more to produce an interesting sounding track.
3) Inevitably, the last part in making a successful future bass track is the arrangement, song-writing, and rhythm. With competition, these days it gets harder and harder to make an unusual track. If sound-design is one way to achieve and produce a “different” song, song structure is often underestimated in this process. Future bass often utilizes intricate rhythms in percussion and utilizes triplets and swing. A great way to understand the structure of these type of tracks is to listen repeatedly to this type of music to understand what pattern, they use, how the intro, drop and breakdown is constructed and in general get a feel for the tempo and the rhythm.
Recommended youtube tutorials on how to make future bass:
3. Our Recommended Future Bass Artists (Soundcloud)
Flume performing live